We believe that:
- The needs of the patient should be central to healthcare.
- Healthcare should be based on the principles of compassion and understanding.
- Healthcare should always be conducted with the full consent of the patient, with every effort being made to ensure that they are able to make fully informed, supported decisions.
- A health service should be judged on how it treats the most vulnerable people in society.
- The needs of the sick should take precedence over the wants of the well.
- Healthcare decisions should be based upon reliable scientific evidence, and after a proper analysis of both benefits and harms.
- Patients are individuals, with unique personal values and priorities, and healthcare workers need to recognise and this and celebrate it.